Prep: 40 Minutes
Cook: 20 Minutes
Ready in: 1 Hour
Makes: 4 dozen
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint hard candies
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C)
- In a large bowl, combine butter, confectioners’ sugar, egg, almond extract and vanilla extract.
- Beat until smooth.
- Mix in flour and salt.
- Roll into 4 inch strips and place the strips on the baking sheet. Curve the tops down to form the cane shape.
- Bake in the oven for 9 to 10 minutes. While the cookies are still warm, remove them from the pan and sprinkle them with candy and sugar mixture.
*Note: The dough may be divided in half and colored with 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring, if desired. Roll each color into strips, place them side by side, and then press each together lightly and twist the two like a rope.